Friday 5 February 2016

Pantone Colour of the Year Pink & Blue

So I wanted to talk a bit about the Pantone colour of the year, which is actually 2 colours this year, for the first time ever...

Firstly lets hear what Pantone have to say about this...

Well that's nice.. They also go on to say
 ...'In many parts of the world we are experiencing a gender blur as it relates to fashion, which has in turn impacted color trends throughout all other areas of design. This more unilateral approach to color is coinciding with societal movements toward gender equality and fluidity, the consumer's increased comfort with using color as a form of expression, a generation that has less concern about being typecast or judged and an open exchange of digital information that has opened our eyes to different approaches to color usage.'

They also go on to talk about mindfulness and relaxation which pleases me a great deal. Mindfulness is about the most important thing for us as individuals in my humble opinion. I mean look at the opposite, that would be mindlessness...if we all went around mindlessly doing whatever we wanted, bumping into things, we'd all be in some kind of hell. Conscious thought about who we are, why we are and what we are doing in the now, is the only sensible way to be happy and a generally good useful person. 
So, after I shoehorned my little opinion in there, lets get back to colour...

I feel passionately about colour, almost like a synethesiac, you know, those people who have their senses wired up weirdly and so experience sound as colour, or smell as words or whatever... Well, I can almost hear colour. I can certainly feel very strong feelings in the presence of colour... There are a couple of colours that make me feel disgust..very strongly. I know that sounds weird, but what can I do? I just feel yucky when I look at them... I'm going to see if I can find them and I'll tag them on the end, just for fun.

                                             So do we like it? Do we like the pink and blue? 
Pic from sousou-diysign.de





















Well, I do like the pink very much and have been a keen fancier of this colour for many years. I also really like blue but prefer the more quiet versions of this colour.



And Pink with grey is especially lovely...

Pic from dustjacketattic.blogspot.ca

I notice that these colours team up really well with rose gold or pink brass accessories

This is the Pink Salon at Görvälnsslott in Stockholm and you can just about see one of my handmade cushions peaking out behind the coffee table. This pink is such a fabulous colour, warm and bold but still calming and kind..


Ive been loving the pink and blue for many years, so even if Pantone think it is 'this year' I think of it as a colour combo from about 4 years ago when I did a collection in softest pinks and blues. This was my mood board...

And these were the cushions that I designed from the above mood board...
Available to buy from my shop here

One last nod to the loveliest that is pink...before I leave you with my top 8 disgusting colours of all time...

And here is a buffer between all the loveliness and the oncoming colour yuckiness... if you want to see more beautiful pink colour inspiration, check out my Pink boards on Pinterest

       My Pink & peach board on Pinterest
     

Don't look at these if you suffer from colour ikkiness disease...

1. is pooh brown and makes me feel sick
2. artificial bright green, can almost not look at it, its so disgusting.
3. insipid lemony yellow. Makes me feel like I've sucked a lemon flavoured rubber glove, blurgh!
4. Bright salmony crab colours. There was a big fashion for these colours a couple of years ago, I almost had to stay home!
5. Rusty red...makes me feel dirty.
6. clear bright purple. It's the colour of madness and I feel like someone is shouting at me when I look at it. Just calm down!
7. The colour of my old school uniform, need I say more?
8. 1970's dirty mustard orange makes me feel suffocated under the weight of decades of dust and neglect. Awful.



1 comment:

  1. hilarious! I like the pantone colours this year in small doses.

    ReplyDelete