Friday 18 March 2016

Dark Blue versus Deep Teal in Interior design

I've been thinking a lot about colour recently because we are going to redecorate our living room. The only trouble is that I can't decide what colour it should be... I'm torn between my love for dark moody blues....and more cheerful bright teal/turquoise colours. I may have mentioned before that I'm very sensitive to colour, it is super important in my life...so I have to make sure the colour I choose is exactly right. If it isn't perfect, then every time I go in the living room I will feel a kind of slight unease and spiritual itching of the eyeballs. I cannot have that, it will ruin 'Fredagsmys' (for all you non swede readers, that means sitting on the sofa with all the family on a Friday evening eating snacks and watching films). As an aside, sometimes Swedish really manages to capture a whole concept with one small word and it is very useful. The French word 'Sabotage' is like that too. Try finding another word to explain what that is to your kids, you can't. That's why the English thought, yep, we'll have that word, it's much faster. It's a keeper. Ok, I'm going off into the world of lovely useful words now and that's not where i meant to go, but I'm so easily distracted... you know, we creative types, our minds are a rambling mad mess of endless possibilities  and distractions. It's a wonder I manage to get from A to B sometimes without wandering off down the metaphorical alley ways of the mind...and .....Jeez, I exhaust myself sometimes...got to get back on track here!

I'm talking about BLUE


This kind of dark blue looks so great with gold and copper metallics and although I have always thought of dark blue as a rather conventional colour, it can be interpreted in a very eclectic or bohemian way...


Then we start moving in a greener direction, just a tiny bit. For example take the Farrow & Ball Stiffkey paint colour
It has a touch more green in it, such a gorgeous colour...

But then comes the glory of deep teal which is a braver choice in some ways. The only problem is that when I see this colour I think it belongs to someone else.. I can't explain what I mean there...


and then of course there is the cheerful turquoise/teal colour. This is Annie Sloane's Chalk paint in Florence colour, painted on the living room wall of Janice Issitt's bohemian home, which is not only a nice colour but the chalk paint gives a wonderful velvety finish to the wall too.


But ultimately I know what colour my heart is .... and it is a deep moody blue...

If you like all these kinds of interiors and want to see more then do follow my Dark & Decadent Board on Pinterest








No comments:

Post a Comment