Thursday 15 August 2013

Visiting Formex & Trends for Eccentric Antique

Today I visited Formex for the first time in about 6 years. Now don't misunderstand, I've been at Formex every year selling my things but visiting is an entirely different matter. When I'm working there it is very busy and I never have time to look around, so today was a delightful insight. The 1 overwhelming thing I noticed is how much eccentric vintagy stuff there is. When I first did Formex 6 years ago there was nothing else like me and I really stuck out. I got both praised for that and plenty of super weird looks, but now, lots of cool strange vintage inspired stuff. I like that fact because it gives my style a broader context and customers can understand it now, the market is bigger and that makes me happy.
So what were the highlights?
Brand new company Selected Stockholm, too new to even have a proper web site but fabulous glamorous silk velvet and cotton damask bedding and curtains they do have. Super luxurious and wonderful colours.

I've always loved Pip Studio and think their new bed linen range is sweet


I popped over to my friends at Sagen Vintage and drooled over their lace and velvet ribbons..might have to order some of that!



I loved these cute muffin display stands all based on lovely old china designs, really great for a mad hatters tea party!


I fell in love with this lamp! It is sooo cute, from Kamelo


Now I'm no fan of rag rugs, just don't like em, but I do love recycling and thought this was a brilliant idea! It's also a non slip mat which is extra cool!


Danish company Vanillafly is always to be relied on for dark and vintage designs


I loved almost everything on the Ulf Andersson stand. Such beautiful flattering cuts, very retro and lovely. I think I'll have 12...he he, just kidding


Lots of birds still everywhere, plenty of peacocks but I have to say, I'm so over naive owls. There was patchwork owls and every kind of funny old owl thing you could imagine at Formex...Enough I say!


I loved this wallpaper from up and coming designer Nadja Wedin and it's nominated for the Formex Formidable 2013 prize. I wish her the best of luck! 

Here is me sitting on a chair with one of her designs on... you know, she paints all the designs meticulously by hand!


You know I said there was a lot more weird antique eccentricness? well check this out! Miss Rabbit is very cute!

I missed being there as an exhibitor, missed the buzz and energy but I did love soaking up all the impressions and catching up with lots of my friends there. I am off to Tendence trade show in Germany next week (didn't have time to do both trade shows). I'm sure there will be even more buzz and energy!

2 comments:

  1. So glad you write about Selected.. just FAB company. I have ALL their wonderful thing in my shop Stilrummet at Brahegatan 19, You must come and visit. If you lika glam...and classy style...//Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marie, I just came across your facebook page earlier today and I must say that I love the look of your store! I deffinitely should pop by and take a look! If you need any fabulous cushions ;-) Just let me know and I can bring in some samples to show you...

      Delete