Friday 12 August 2016

The Majesty of Nature Vs The Majesty of His Majesty

Sorry there was no blog last Friday and that is because I was away on holiday up in the mountains of Sweden, in Jämtland. It was a wonderful week of hiking and nature appreciation...
We have been going to the family cottage up there for 10 years and still there are new things to discover.
I was totally blown away by the Fröå Copper mine. There was a 90 meter deep hole into the ground, straight down, with a water driven pump, pumping out the water so that miners could go beneath the water table to get out copper. An incredible engineering achievement and unbelievable working conditions. They went down there in pitch blackness with burning torches! This is pre electricity times don't forget... What a job! The whole site was peppered with cute buildings and had the most fantastic food in the cafe. A must see if you are ever near Åre in the summer.



This is the view from our cottage. We were given the most incredible display every day by Mother Nature including rainbows galore!


Another thing we discovered was the lake called Blankstärn. It has totally crystal clear bright turquoise water. Breathtaking! We had to go on a 12 kilometre round hike to see it, but it was worth it


The sheer scale up there and the vivid colours and changeability of the weather was very inspiring, so much that I designed my new collection whilst on holiday... well, in my head. Now I have to actually make it all, but the ideas are there...

When we got back to Stockholm we decided to have a day out at Drottningholmsslott Castle, where the King and Queen live. There are 2 floors open to the public and we had a great wander around. I loved all the blue and gold colour combos..



But all that gold twirly stuff made me feel like I had visual indigestion. I couldn't help but compare the majesty of nature, which I had so recently experienced, to the majesty that the castle interior designers were trying to achieve... Nature wins hands down. It made the interior seem a bit silly somehow. I can't really explain it.
Anyway, my holiday is nearly over now, the kids will soon be back at school... I've seen so much art and exhibitions, amazing things and places that I feel full to the brim and can't wait to start this next season, with lots of creative energy...

No comments:

Post a Comment