Friday 9 September 2016

My Time in the Mediaeval Baebes

This blog is not so much about what I've been up to in the last 20 minutes as what I did in the last 20 years. The thing is that I have not had one single second to do anything interesting, or see anything thought provoking, since Formex finished a week ago. I have had my head down packing orders from dawn till dusk...just like a factory robot fulfilment centre. Kinda boring but quite rewarding on several levels ;-)

Also, people often wonder what I used to do, so I thought I'd share with you a bit about my time with the Mediaeval Baebes

I was one of the 11 women who jumped on Katharine Blakes mad idea to form a singing group sometime in the mid 90's. It was all choral stuff and long virginal white frocks, but we got progressively more outlandish with the clothing and head pieces as time went on. I would've rather joined a rock band but alas, I was 'blessed' with a little reedy choir boy voice, so no bitch growling rock for me. But on the upside, I was in a band with all of my best mates and we had the most fun it is possible to have, for many years. We made albums and they sold a few copies and I got to travel around the world touring. Marvellous stuff...
Got to pose for lots of photos too!

This is the kind of thing we did back then...

That was us being vampires for a festival in Vancouver, but here is us at the same festival before our 'transformation' in a more regular performance. I'm the blond one next to Marie doing all the talking.



It's weird looking back at that stuff, seems like a million lifetimes away. I was never much of a one for the performing, made me horribly nervous.


If you want to hear what I sound like singing then play San'c Fuy Belha Ni Prezada (in the spotify box underneath). It is me all by myself... I'd like to say that it was a one take wonder but that would be horribly untrue..



From being in the Baebes I started my clothing company, making mad mediaeval inspired frocks for all the fans and assorted lovely witches, freaks and mediaeval enthusiasts to enjoy. This was me getting a round of applause after my fashion show at a huge witch festival.

more of my creations...
Anyway, the long and short of it is that my clothing really started to take off and I also had my first daughter so I had to leave the band and life on the road. I don't regret that at all, performing was never really my thing, but I did have the most fantastic 10 year long party. It's probably why I'm so 'stay at home' now.
In fact I'm looking forward to a delightful staying at home this friday evening with my lovely family. Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment